Both federal and state governments own multiple facilities spread across various geographical locations. This is the same case with parastatals, institutions, hospitals, non-governmental organizations and many other private sector companies. These facilities which include buildings, real estate, equipment, power lines and many more are the most valuable assets that organizations use to deliver their mandate. Efficient management of these facilities is therefore paramount for proper operation of these organizations. One of the ways to achieve this is through the development and implementation of a centralized facilities management program.
Why implement a centralized facility management strategy?
A centralized strategy is undoubtedly very effective since it brings together all the departments and groups in an organization so that all the standards and procedures set are implemented consistently throughout the entire organization. This strategy leads to consistent delivery of high-quality services while ensuring the organization’s assets and equipment are well cared for and reliable for use.
How to implement a centralized facility management program
The following steps should be followed:
- Create awareness; This involves informing all the organization’s employees from the top to the bottom of the potential benefits of implementing a CFM.
- Development of organizational requirements; A systematic and formal process is undertaken to determine what the organization wants from the program.
- Notify upper-level management of the development of a CFM. Budget decisions are then made for the roll-out of the program.
- Select program model; determine whether you’ll use a full-service or limited scope model for the program.
- Adopt a software based vendor-neutral system for data visualization, monitoring, and control of all activities in the organization.
- Identification of qualified employees who will implement the program in each facility. Contracting or adding more staff can also be done in case existing staff are not enough.
- Regulation of procurement practices; Establish standards for all contracts and procurements carried out within the organization.
- Create a CFM policy; This involves stating that all activities in the organization such as construction, renovation, repair, and maintenance shall be reviewed and approved by the CFM department before being done.
How to integrate central facility management
Central facility management can be integrated into any organization by developing an implementation plan. This involves acquiring the necessary tools, staff and making necessary organizational changes in line with the CFM program.
How to integrate central facility management into a facility manager’s responsibility
Facility management usually encompasses multiple disciplines depending on an organization and its services. To integrate central facility management into a facility manager’s responsibility, it’s important to list all the core activities and the requisite skills required to do those activities. The core competencies include project management, operations and maintenance, leadership and technology among others. Depending on the type of CFM program model selected, the organization can add a new position or reassign this responsibility to an existing employee with this skill set. Human resource department can assist with this.
How to integrate with a central facility management plan
A central facility management plan can be integrated by creating a CFM department in the organization. The department will be guided by the CFM policy to ensure a seamless adoption of the plan into the organization. The policy will dictate exactly how the organization’s services will be carried out in line with the CFM program while also provide exceptions for example for high-level projects.
Best centralized facility management program models
In encapsulation, there are two models; full-service or limited scope. The full-service model involves everything from HVAC design, roof replacement, cleaning, parking, and security. Limited scope model only handles high-level design and construction works, maintenance and repair. The best program model is the full-service model since it caters for every kind of equipment and facility owned by the organization.